Thursday 12 January 2012

Si Looi Bak liak Sar Looi Bak

Si Looi Bak ("four eyes" that's me) catching Sar Looi Bak (three-eyed fish), an extremely hardy fish found in and around padi fields.

I remembered I first saw them at the construction site of our newly built house in Alor Star (1969). I was fascinated and believed that their third eye was why they were so hard to catch.

They were found in isolated pools of water at the construction site. I don't know what they survived on but they were thriving.
They are fairly well hidden but their third eye gives them away. Don't see it?
Here's the close up. See that shiny spot on the head? It's Sar looi Bak!

Imagine my excitement when I saw them again in Langkawi's padi fields. Nostalgic moments indeed.

If only my wife would let me get muddy and catch some :(


No comments:

Post a Comment